21 July 2006

Christina Aguilera wants male protection

First of all, I don't pay a lot of attention to pop stars. Usually, I find their behavior destructive for young women's self esteem - at best. The ones I do monitor are usually ones like Christina Aguilera, who publicly have some guts and aren't afraid to talk about being strong and independent as the awesome traits that they are. So I was clearly a bit miffed to read that in a new interview with Billboard magazine, Aguilera offered these thoughts about her wedding last year:
I just realized it would be really nice to have that male protector in your life, to have felt that your entire life, and to have that one person give you away to the next man that's going to take care of you.

I'm all for tradition, but not the ones where women become commodities, sold off for dowries or to other men who are then able to use them any way they see fit. I know we can talk all about day about reclaiming traditions for ourselves, but sometimes that's just a bunch of crap. I hate when women don't know the historical implications for their romanticized notions of modern patriarchy and just blindly buy into it.

Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

Good Gawwwwd! I don't want to be sold or given away to ANYONE! Hey, nice to see you around again--welcome back!

4:39 PM  
Blogger B said...

Hi Marj! Good to see you too :) I was out of the country for a few weeks - see videos at shootingfullforce.com! I'm out of town again this week, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things as I run around the country like a mad woman. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
B

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those quotations are sort of weird, because Christina Aguilera is actually really intelligent and wise and pretty much the only mega pop star I have EVER heard talk openly, angrily and strongly about feminist issues. She grew up with a horribly abusive father, and has said in interviews that she has never felt close to a man in her life. It seems like she has found a man who is her friend and who makes her feel safe, which I really celebrate. I totally agree that that quotation you posted is super awkward, but given everything else I've heard her say about her marriage it seems maybe a little out of context? Read this awesome New York Times article about her--http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/arts/30ogun.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I really think she is important and awesome. She and Linda Perry basically write/produce all her stuff--and for her latest album she's hired this really amazing DJ to help produce--she hired him specifically because he is not one of these superstar Neptunes dudes that everybody freaks out about, like they attribute ALL of Mariah Carey's success to the fact that she works with MALE celebrity producers, which is unfair. Christina really is an artist, and always sticks up for women in deeper ways than just saying "Girl Power" or whatever. She did an amazing diss track about Eminem and posted it on her website, and it was all about misogyny.

Sorry, I just totally wanted to stick up for Christina Aguilera for some reason! But anyway, I just think we should not write her off for a couple awkward quotes after having met a man she loves for the first time in her life. Right?? Wrong?

6:16 PM  
Blogger B said...

Hi ritchey,

I know, I was conflicted the same way and felt weird blogging about her in the first place. But she did say it, and it bothered me. Still does. Because she IS smart and no, I do not intend to write her off. Actually, the more I think about what you wrote, the more I wonder how I react in these situations (when I'm with men who really respect me/make me feel safe, etc.). I don't know if I blame her, but I wish she'd have phrased it differently. She has so much influence and power over impressionable young women, and I usually believe she understands that and does a great job modeling herself in a variety of ways. This comment caught me off guard and I thought it was worth discussing.

Thanks for your thoughts!
B

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home